Creamy and mildly sweet, this Indian-style dessert makes a great finish to a spicy meal. It can also be used as an accompaniment to poached fruits such as pear, apple, quince or apricot.
- Saffron and Pistachio Puddings
- 1/2 cup raw pistachios
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1-1/2 tbsp currants
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1-1/3 fine semolina
- 1 tsp rosewater
- Cardamom and Honey Syrup
- 1-1/2 tbsp honey
- 2 cardamom pods crushed
- Finely chop or grind half the pistachios. Coarsely chop the remainder and set aside.
- Combine the milk, currants, saffron threads, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods in a large saucepan. Allow the mixture to stand for 1 hour if time permits. Bring to a boil, then remove the cinnamon stick and whisk in the honey and semolina.
- Beat until the mixture is completely smooth, then stir in the finely chopped pistachios and the rosewater. Spoon or pour into four 200ml serving glasses or dishes.
- To make the syrup, combine the honey and cardamom pods in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Serve the puddings topped with the hot cardamom and honey syrup and the remaining pistachios.